Kalief Browder, Jailed For Three Years Without Trial Or Charges, As A Teen, Kills Himself At 22

  • Pin It

Kalief Browder-md

A Bronx man who spent three years in jail as a teenager despite never being charged with a crime was found dead by suicide on Saturday.

Kalief Browder, 22, had been arrested in 2010 as a 16-year-old after being picked up for allegedly stealing a backpack that owner Roberto Bautista claimed had his credit card, debit card, digital camera, iPod and hundreds of dollars in cash inside. Because his family was unable to raise his $10,000 bail, Browder languished at Rikers Island for three years awaiting trial. He told his court-appointed lawyer he refused to accept a plea deal for the charge and wanted the case to go to trial. He endured years of beatings and isolation before being released in 2013 without explanation.

The teen says he endured beatings by officers and other inmates. He tried to commit suicide and spent more than 400 days in solitary confinement.

Mr Browder was the subject of a profile in The New Yorker.

Eventually, in 2013, his case was dismissed. The publicity surrounding his case led to a plan to try to curb the violence at Rikers. But as Mr Browder told the New Yorker, he emerged from the ordeal broken.

“People tell me because I have this case against the city I’m all right. But I’m not all right. I’m messed up. I know that I might see some money from this case, but that’s not going to help me mentally. I’m mentally scarred right now. That’s how I feel. Because there are certain things that changed about me and they might not go back,” he told the magazine.

On his 634th day in jail, recently out solitary confinement, known to inmates as The Bing, Browder made a noose out of torn bedsheets and attempted to hang himself from the light fixture.

After being taken to the infirmary, he was placed in solitary confinement once again.

Even after he got out of Rikers after charges against him had been dropped, Browder harbored an intense feeling of paranoia and had antipsychotics prescribed for him.

Six months from his release, he took a steak knife with him to the bedroom, which a visiting friend managed to snatch away, before trying to hang himself from a banister.

Mr Browder’s emotional had seemed to be improving recently, those close to him said. After struggling at Bronx Community College and dropping out, an anonymous donor offered to pay a semester’s tuition and he returned to school happier, earning better grades than before.

On Monday, Prestia noticed a few strange posts on Browder’s Facebook and texted him to ask if everything was alright. ‘Yea I’m alright thanks man,’ was the reply.

The Los Angeles Times spoke to Browder’s lawyer on Sunday. Paul V. Prestia said that all those years in jail took an unbearable toll on Browder.

The Times reports:

“I think what caused the suicide was his incarceration and those hundreds and hundreds of nights in solitary confinement, where there were mice crawling up his sheets in that little cell,’ Prestia said in a phone interview Sunday evening. ‘Being starved, and not being taken to the shower for two weeks at a time … those were direct contributing factors. … That was the pain and sadness that he had to deal with every day, and I think it was too much for him.’

“Prestia then became emotional, his voice wavering as he recalled Browder, whom he said hadn’t had mental health problems before he was arrested and jailed in 2010.

” ‘He was a good friend of mine — I wasn’t just his attorney, you know?’ Prestia went silent for a few seconds, then continued: ‘He was a really good kid.’ “

Jennifer Gonnerman, who reported the New Yorker profile of Browder, visited the family this weekend.

Browder’s mother told Gonnerman that she spoke to her son Friday night.

He told her: “Ma, I can’t take it anymore.” His mother reminded him that he had people in his corner.

Gonnerman reports:
“[On Saturday afteroon], at about 12:15 P.M., he went into another bedroom, pulled out the air conditioner, and pushed himself out through the hole in the wall, feet first, with a cord wrapped around his neck. His mother was the only other person home at the time. After she heard a loud thumping noise upstairs, she went upstairs to investigate, but couldn’t figure out what had happened. It wasn’t until she went outside to the backyard and looked up that she realized that her youngest child had hanged himself.

“That evening, in a room packed with family members, Prestia said, ‘This case is bigger than Michael Brown!’ In that case, in which a police officer shot Brown, an unarmed teen-ager, in Ferguson, Missouri, Prestia recalled that there were conflicting stories about exactly what happened. And the incident took, he said, ‘one minute in time.’ In the case of Kalief Browder, he said, ‘When you go over the three years that he spent [in jail] and all the horrific details he endured, it’s unbelievable that this could happen to a teen-ager in New York City. He didn’t get tortured in some prison camp in another country. It was right here!'”

Source: New Yorker, NPR, Daily Mail


Related Posts

More in News (479 of 1428 articles)